Once I consider candy and bitter sauce, what involves thoughts for me is a fried hen and rice dish with this slighty crimson sauce that tastes a bit like spicy pineapple.
I’m from southwest Missouri, so Springfield-style cashew chicken is a robust childhood reminiscence to me, in addition to candy and bitter hen.
This candy and bitter sauce recipe is nice as a dipping sauce, too! This could possibly be for something from egg rolls, fried dumplings, or as a spring roll sauce.
Substances for Candy & Bitter Sauce:
- Pineapple juice
- Brown sugar
- Rice vinegar
- Ketchup, which provides to the colour of this sauce
- Soy sauce
- Cornstarch, to thicken the sauce
Methods to make Candy & Bitter Sauce:
This candy and bitter sauce recipe is tremendous simple to make, and could be made forward of once you plan to make use of it.
Mix all of the elements besides the cornstarch in a small pot (or pan) over medium warmth, and whisk to mix nicely. Stir the cornstarch with 1-2 tablespoons of water to create a slurry, after which add to the pot.
Cook dinner to your required thickness and then you definately’re prepared to make use of this sauce, or retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge or at the least 5-7 days.
Ideas for Making:
- It’s greatest to create a slurry from cornstarch and water moderately than immediately including the cornstarch to the pot. This helps it to include higher so that you don’t get any little lumps of cornstarch in your closing sauce.
- Whereas the ketchup does add some coloration to this sauce, the brown sugar does, too. If you would like your sauce to be extra shiny crimson, you possibly can add a drop or two of meals coloring.
- For those who’d like so as to add extra warmth/spice to this candy and bitter sauce, attempt including 1/4 teaspoon (or extra) of crimson pepper flakes.
Do not forget that this sauce can work nicely on a fundamental dish or as a dipping sauce. Listed here are some recipes you may need to attempt with this:
For extra recipes like this one, don’t neglect to subscribe!
Get inventive concepts for recipes, crafts, decor, and extra in your inbox!
In a small pot, mix the pineapple juice, brown sugar, rice vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce.
Whisk over medium warmth till the sugar dissolves.
In a small cup, stir collectively the cornstarch and one to 2 tablespoons of water, making a slurry.
Whisk the slurry combination into the sauce.
Proceed to prepare dinner over medium warmth for 5-6 minutes till the sauce thickens.
- If you wish to make this sauce extra crimson, add a drop or two of crimson meals coloring.
- For those who’d like so as to add some warmth, add 1/4 teaspoon or extra of crimson pepper flakes.
- You may retailer this sauce in an hermetic container for at the least 5-7 days within the fridge.
Discover: Vitamin is auto-calculated, utilizing Spoonacular, in your comfort. The place related, we suggest utilizing your individual diet calculations.